So…. the first time we (Laura and me) decided to make some “Petit Fours”… ok ok.. normally the Petit Fours are squares.. But we made some round ones .. 🙂 I think they’re soooooo delicious… ok.. some muffins are easier to bake.. but it’s also pretty easy. So try them! I love the taste of apricot jam and the buttercream between. Oh and ya.. normally you plunge the whole petit fours into the glaze… but ya… your decision 😀 however you like it… I think it’s cute.. some of them look like mushrooms. 🙂
– 3 egg whites
– a dash salt
– 75g sugar
– 3 egg yolks
– peel of a lime
– 75g butter, smooth
– 60g powdered sugar
– pulp of a vanilla bean
– 1/2 tablespoon lime juice
– 75g apricot jam, warmed up, sifted
– 500g powdered sugar
– 3 tablespoons lime juice
– 3 tablespoons water
– some little hearts to decorate
How to make Petit Fours
1. Preheat oven to 200°C (air-conditioned 180°C).
2. Beat egg whites with salt until soft peaks form. With the mixture running, slowly add the sugar and mix. Add the flour (sifted), egg yolks and lime juice and mix carefully.
3. Pour batter into prepared baking pan (u can also use some small muffin paper cups – also possible: make some small globes and put to a baking paper — use a (mechanical) pastry bag) and bake for 6-8 min. Let it cool.
4. Hollow every biscuit on the underside with a knife a little bit out. Cut the top of every second biscuit away and invert them.
5. For the buttercream you have to stir the butter. Add the powdered sugar, vanilla bean and lime juice and mix till the mixture is bright and breezy.
6. Put the mixture to a pastry bag and spatter to those biscuits with the top cutted away. Take the other biscuits and give it to the buttercream-biscuits. Squeeze down.
7. Spread the biscuits with apricot jam and let it in your room for 30 min. and then cool down for 30 minutes on your balcony (if it’s cold outside) or in your fridge.
8. For the glaze you have to mix all the ingredients together. Give 50% of the mixture to an other bowl. U can add some food color to one of the mixes. Plunge the petit fours in and let it cool. The rest of the glazur u can use to decorate the petit fours.
9. Use the pastry bag to decorate the petit fours.