So during my stay “home” in Switzerland did I bake some delicious things. From Birthday-Cupcakes to Cocos Macrons to these delicious Vanilla Slices. The recipe is by Donna Hay and you can find it in her 2nd Baking Book. I’m not a huge vanilla fan actually, but I have to admit that these slices were delicious! Very easy to make! Give it a try and enjoy!! Thanks Donna!
- 2 sheets of puff pastry, thawed and cut to fit a 9 X 9 inch baking tin
- 7.5 oz vanilla custard powder
- 3 cups milk
- 2.25 cups cream
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup salted butter (cut into pieces)
- Line a baking sheet with baking parchment. Place the puff pastry sheets on the parchment, in a single layer. Place a second baking tray over the top.
- Bake on 350F for around 25-30 min or until the sheets have puffed up, and golden.
- While the sheets are baking, make the custard filling. In a bowl place the custard powder and sugar, and a small amount of milk and whisk until there are no lumps.
- In a medium saucepan, put in the milk, the cream, and the custard mixture. Stir constantly until it thickens, and then add the butter.
- Allow to cool.
- Place the baked puff pastry on a cooling rack.
- When both the pastry and the custard are fairly cool, place one of the puff pastry sheets on the bottom of the baking tin.
- Pour over the thick custard mixture, and smooth with the back of a spoon.
- Place the other puff pastry on top.
- Put in the fridge for at least 3 hours.
- Cut into slices, and serve with icing sugar sprinkled over the top.